Project BRZ – Australia's First Kraftwerks Supercharged BRZ

Latest News Club Forum Member Builds Project BRZ – Australia's First Kraftwerks Supercharged BRZ

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  nate_oneill 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Will Ford (ProjectBRZ)
    Registered On: 28/07/2014
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 9

Hello all and welcome to the Project BRZ Thread.

In this post I’ll cover all the mods I’ve done to the car so far since new, and I’ll continue to update the thread as I do more and more to the car.

If you like what I’m doing with the car, and would like to get involved, check out our Facebook page.

There’s also have a comprehensive YouTube Channel covering all the mods done to the car, reviews and experiences.

Parts and suppliers:

Asthetics:

• Engine Bay Dressup Kit – Forged Performance Australia
    • Rexpeed STi CF Front Lip – Zenith Racing
    • Rexpeed C-Style Side Skirts and Spats – Zenith Racing
    • Rubber Stripping for side skirts – Clark Rubber
    • STi badging, garnishes – JapanParts
    • Raceseng Slammer Gear Knob – Forged Performance Australia
    • Raceseng Reverse Lockout – Forged Performance Australia
    • Toms Tail Lights – Garage88
    • Carbon Fibre Bonnet Struts – Forged Performance Australia
    • Carbon Fibre Dash Facia – Ebay
    • Slim number plate mount – https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/191584067/registration-plate-mounting-clips-pair

Engine & Exhaust:

• Kraftwerks C30 Supercharger kit – 14PSI – 212.73RWKW – Forged Performance Australia
    • Kraftwerks Passive Oil Cooler – Forged Performance Australia
    • Skunk2 Alpha Series Headers – Forged Performance Australia
    • Skunk2 Alpha Series Radiator – Forged Performance Australia
    • Blitz NUR-Spec C-Ti Midpipe and exhaust – Justjap

Wheels:

• Rays 57Xtreme Wheels – Street to Track

Braking:

• STi Brembo Brakes – Pro Speed Racing
    • DBA T3 4000 series rotors – Pro Speed Racing
    • HEL Braided Brake Lines – Pro Speed Racing

Suspension:

• MCA Red Series Suspension – MRT Performance

Audio & Electronics:

• Sony XAV-712BT head Unit – Sony Australia
    • Blackvue DR550GW-2CH Dashcam – Dash Cams Australia

Misc:

• STi Space Saver spare wheel – STi Heaven
    • Subaru rubber boot mat – Ebay

Wheel & Tyre Size:

• Front: 18×8.5+33 225/40/R18
    • Rear: 18×9.5+40 255/35/R18

Ride Height/Stance Adjustment:

• Camber = -1.25deg
    • Ride height = 355mm Centre wheel to guard F/R
    • Ground Clearance: 122mm

So lets get in to it!!

I ordered the car in November 2013 having sold my modified 2006 WRX which was making 208KW@W. If you’re interested to know why I decided to sell the WRX and buy a BRZ, check out this video…

Fast forward to March 2013 and I picked up the car brand new from the dealership. At this stage I already had my Blitz NUR Spec C-Ti exhaust, MCA Red Coilovers, Toms tail lights and Rays Gram Light 57Xtremes waiting to go on the car.

Going Home

You can watch the video from when I picked up the car here…

The very first day I installed the tail lights. YAY!!!

After a month of ownership, the car was off to MRT Performance to have the wheels, suspension and exhaust put on. But I did record a video of my initial impressions of the car after a month of ownership which you can watch here:

We also installed some Whiteline KCA326 rear camber adjusters to make sure the rear camber was perfect.

We had a few issues with the wheels as the supplier had sent the wrong stud pattern, but that ,meant I was able to test out the coilovers with the stock wheels and record my impressions, which you can watch here:

I also recorded a full review of the exhaust:

So it was around this stage that I started to get to know a few people here in this club, and started to pick up a whole lot of bits and pieces from Forged performance, including:

*Bonnet Struts
    *Raceseng Slammer gear knob and Reverse lockout (install guide)
    *Forged performance Engine Bay Dress-up Kit

I also purchased all the BRZ tS Sti trim bits from Japan Parts at the same time.

Here’s a video of me installing the new garnishes for anyone wondering how it’s done..

Around this time I also installed an BlackVue 550 dash cam system. Here’s the install guide…

Next up on the list was the head unit install. For this I sourced a Carbon Fibre Facia Kit off ebay, and chose a Sony XAV712BT Head Unit, which has Mirrorlink, so I can use the torque app to display digital guages…

Full review of the Head unit here…

Next up was the Rexpeed Carbon Fibre bodykit, kindly supplied by Zenith Racing installed by Kalen Gray from Forged Performance.

I chose an STi style front bar, and C-Style side skirts and spats.

Now it was time for a proper photoshoot!!

By now I was 3 months into ownership and starting to think about brake upgrades….

I really wasn’t sure what to get, and spent about 3 weeks uming and ahing before I decided on the STi Brembo kit off an MY12 WRX STi.

I sourced the kit from Troy at Pro Speed Racing, including HEL braided brake lines and DBA slotted 4000 series rotors.

The installation wasn’t too difficult, albeit a little scary. Kalen was a great help (OK, so he really did all the work while I supervised). the only difficulty we had was swapping the bleeders from top to bottom on the front calipers. This is necessary because the calipers sit on the front side of the rotors on the BRZ, as opposed to the rear side on the STi.

Before you ask, no you can’t just swap the calipers side for side, because the leading and trailing pistons are different sizes.

With the brakes done, it was time for another photo shoot…

So that brings me pretty much up to date!

Here’s a video going over every mod we’ve done so far, and where to get the parts…

There’s a bunch more videos on my Youtube Channel, and photos on my Facebook Community, so be sure to check them out if you’re interested.

I’ll continue to keep this thread up to date as we do more work on the car and enjoy ownership of this fine vehicle!

Lastly, I want to say a huge thank you to all the guys and girls in the club. It’s been a pleasure getting to know you and meet you and I’m thoroughly enjoying being a part of the community just as much as I’m enjoying owning the car.

A special thanks goes out to Kalen Gray for his countless hours of help and guidance with working on my car, and to Jessica White for putting up with us playing cars!

I can’t wait to meet more of you and continue to learn more as I work on my BRZ.

Future plans include a Kraftwerks supercharger kit, so stay tuned for heaps more info, pictures and videos :)

Cheers,

Will

Attachments:

Will Ford (ProjectBRZ)

Hi all,

We recently installed the Forged Performance Australia OEM style coolant loop oil cooler kit in to the Project BRZ. The oil cooler retains a stock engine bay look (the cooler itself is the same as is used on selected factory turbocharged Subaru engines, such as the MY14 Subaru Forester XT), and taps in to the coolant system on the car and uses it to two advantages…

1. Brings the oil up to operating temperature faster.
    2. Reduces maximum oil temperatures and transient spikes in oil temperature.

I’ve recorded a real time analysis with visual overlay under cold start, and spirited driving conditions for both pre and post install, so you can see exactly what the difference is between the stock engine with and without the cooler fitted.

Stock Engine: (skip to 18:10 if you’re not interested in the real time data and just want to hear the summary)

Stock Engine with cooler fitted: (skip to 2nd half of the video if you’re not interested in the cold start comparison)

Quick Summary….

Without forced induction and under normal everyday driving conditions at moderate ambient temperatures, an oil cooler isn’t really required, however this cooler does still offer the benefit of bringing the engine oil up to operating temperature twice as quickly as without.

Under spirited driving or track conditions, this cooler has the added advantage of significantly reducing the maximum oil temperatures, and transient spikes in temperature.

A video install guide shall follow shortly.

grant_cropper
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 17

looking good bloke, very comprehensive, will definitely be watching for more and I am following on fb also

Will Ford (ProjectBRZ)

Bit the bullet and got my hands on the Kraftwerks Supercharger kit, along with Kraftwerks Passive Oil Cooler, Skunk2 Alpha radiator and Skunk2 Alpha headers.

We installed the kit ourselves at Forged Performance’s workshop…

We were so impressed by the quality of the kit. I love how aftermarket it looks, yet it fits like an OEM part.

Here’s a time lapse video of the install.

We then towed the car off to Tunehouse so they could work their magic.

Pretty soon it was our turn on the dyno, here’s a video of the last two power runs, and the final graph.

Overall I’m really happy with the result. The power curve is linear as expected, and we were able to achieve 212KW at the hubs using 98RON fuel with the stock injectors and fuel pump.

Stay tuned for more videos and reviews of the kit shortly!

nate_oneill
    Participant
    Registered On: 01/05/2016
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Are all the block internals still stock?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.